Who knows you?
October 9, 2013 Leave a comment
Just take a look at this video – it’s really good – by Tom Scott, who is a sort of digital literacy journalist. Once you have watched the video ask yourself if Tom could do the same thing with your Facebook page? If you feel a little worried by this video, instead of worrying go and look at the Facebook Help site. There’s loads of information here about how to control who gets to know you and your friends in Facebook. Look at your other Networking sites and check their Help pages for Privacy and Security advice too.
For some general good advice on how to keep your computer/mobile phone/tablet from letting in unwanted attention your should look at this video from Channel 4 News. It provides some very basic advice which can be applied to any networking you do, such as:
- Keep your personal details out of any profile you create (put in the minimum required)
- Check your privacy settings are at the level you need
- Periodically check your “likes”/”friendships” to make sure nothing fishy has occurred
- Make sure you update your internet browser software (Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer etc)
- Make sure you update your operating system regularly (Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, Linux, etc)
- Install and regularly update some reputable anti-virus software
If you have any problems sorting out your privacy or security settings do contact me – I might not know the answer straight away but I can usually find out